Whipped potatoes and creamy butter take this nostalgic dish up a notch.
Takes less than 1 hour
- 3 lb. mixed potatoes, such as russets & Yukon Golds
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1/2 c. milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh herbs (optional)
- Peel and dice potatoes
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until totally soft, 12 to 16 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter and milk until warm.
- Pour over warm milk-butter mixture and stir until completely combined and creamy.
- Season mashed potatoes generously with salt and pepper.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl and top with remaining two tablespoons butter. Season with more pepper before serving.