A tried and true recipe from our farmer, Zack.
According to Zack, “If you’re going to eat a fried egg sandwich, you have to eat it right, which is the Amish way. With only one slice of bread. You spread butter or mayo on the bread; I like mayo best, and then fry an egg with some cheese and put it on top.”
We cooked up Zack’s Fried Egg Sandwich to test his single-slice theory. And we’ve gotta say, it certainly does not disappoint.
Makes 1 serving
- 1 tablespoon Vital Farms butter or oil
- 1 Vital Farms egg
- 1 slice of bread
- 2-3 teaspoons mayonnaise or Vital Farms butter
- 1 slice cheddar cheese, cut into strips
- Heat butter or oil in a skilled over medium heat.
- Crack egg into the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook until whites are opaque.
- While the egg is frying, toast the bread until crisp and golden.
- Spread mayonnaise or butter over the toast.
- Layer cheese over the fried egg and allow it to melt.
- Place the egg with melted cheese on top of the prepared toast.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy warm.