A Recipe from Our Farmer, and Former Chef, Hrang
When Hrang migrated to the United States, he was hired at a hibachi restaurant. There, he trained as a hibachi chef and spent nearly 20 years behind the grill. In 2022, Hrang made the transition from chef to farmer. Despite the high demand of life on the farm, he still finds time to make memories in the kitchen.
“I like to cook for my friends. They bring steak, I bring my grill and eggs – and I use those eggs to make fried rice.”
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Vital Farms Butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 Vital Farms Eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
3 cups rice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
Green onions for garnish
1. In a small saucepan, sauté the garlic and butter to make garlic butter. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add eggs and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until scrambled.
3. Transfer eggs to a bowl. Turn stove to medium and add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. Cook the onions until translucent.
4. Add carrots, mushrooms, and peas. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
5. Add the rice and egg to the pan. Drizzle with soy sauce and garlic butter. Stir to combine and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with green onions and serve warm.