Bacon, Date and Goat Cheese Bites
Bacon, date and goat cheese bites are what sweet & savory dreams are made of. Add these ingredients to your grocery list because this is the perfect appetizer for your cozy holiday gatherings.
- 1 Vital Farms Egg Yolk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Vital Farms Unsalted Butter cold and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 6 large Medjool dates pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 6 oz chevre goat cheese room temperature
- ½ cup heavy cream room temperature
- 1 Vital Farms Egg room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 slices cooked crispy bacon crumbled
- Start by making the dough. Mix the egg yolk, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of the ice water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour and salt together then add in the butter and toss to coat in the flour. Pinch the butter into the flour with your hands, making flat shards of butter.
- Add the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture and toss to incorporate. Add the remaining two tablespoons of ice water as needed just to bring the dough together.
- Press the dough into a flat disc about an inch thick, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a well-floured surface, roll the dough out to about ¼-1/8th inch thickness and cut out circles using a 2-inch round cookie cutter or a glass. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Press circles into a mini muffin tin, pressing the edges up the sides slightly to create a mini tart shell.
- Add the dates and 2 tablespoons of the boiling water to a food processor and pulse until a thick but spreadable paste forms. Add a bit more water as necessary depending on how soft your dates are.
- Dollop about 2 teaspoons of the mixture into the bottom of each tart and spread in an even layer.
- In the same food processor bowl, add the goat cheese, cream, egg, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Dollop a tablespoon on top of the date layer for each tart and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle each tart with bacon.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden brown and cheese mixture is firm and set. Cool a few minutes before serving.