Crispy baked veggie fries for the whole family
Meet the veggie-full, crisp, and flavorful cousin to potato french fries, the eggplant fry – breaded with Panko and parmesan, baked, and dipped in a homemade basil lemon aioli. This dish will get you more fired up about eggplant than you’ve ever been before!
Makes 4 servings
2 medium eggplants
1 teaspoon salt
2 Vital Farms Eggs
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Italian-style breadcrumb
1/2 cup parmesan, finely grated
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1-2 tablespoons olive oil for drizzling
1/2 teaspoon salt for topping
Garlic & Basil Aioli :
1 cup mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 cup fresh basil, packed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup salt
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with oil.
2. Cut the eggplants into 1/2 inch strips. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mix Panko, parmesan, salt, garlic powder, and oregano. In a separate bowl, whisk two eggs.
4. Blot the eggplant with a towel. Dip the eggplant strips into the egg, and then into the Panko mixture to coat. Place coated eggplant on the oiled baking sheet. Once all the strips are coated, drizzle with olive oil.
5. Bake for 8 minutes; turn the fries over on their other side, and continue baking for another 8 minutes until golden and crispy.
6. Combine the aioli ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
7. Serve warm with aioli.
As an alternative for baking, cook eggplant fries in an air fryer for 10 minutes, rotating midway through, until crisp and golden.