Cozy up with a donut
It’s fall, y’all! And you know what that means: warm cinnamon-spiced apple cider donuts are back in season. These oven-baked treats are so soft and rich; if we didn’t know better, we’d tell you they were deep-fried. Dunk into a steamy cup of coffee for the perfect sweet autumn treat.
Makes 12 donuts
1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) apple cider
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Vital Farms Egg
3 Tablespoons Vital Farms Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons Vital Farms Unsalted Butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. In a small saucepan, bring apple cider to a gentle boil and simmer over medium heat until thick and reduced to about 1/3 cup, 15-25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease donut pans with butter or nonstick spray.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, reduced apple cider, milk, and vanilla extract.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients to the well and fold using a rubber spatula until combined. Batter will be thick.
6. Spoon or use a bag to pipe the batter into the greased donut pan, filling about halfway full.
7. Bake for 9-11 minutes until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick into the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Combine granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Dunk cooled donuts in melted butter and coat with sugar topping.