A St. Louis original, this gooey, flaky, buttery cake is easy to make and hard to resist!
For the Cake Layer
- 15.25 ounce yellow box cake mix (just the cake mix)
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 2 large eggs
For the Filling Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (plus more for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with butter (making sure to get along the edges and in the corners.)
- Make the cake layer: In a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, melted butter, and 2 eggs. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan in a flat even layer.
- Make the filling layer: Wipe out the bowl and add in the cream cheese; beat with the electric mixer until smooth and no lumps remain. Reduce speed to low and add in one egg at a time until each one is fully incorporated. Blend in the vanilla, then blend in the powdered sugar about 1 cup at a time, until just combined.
- Pour the filling layer over the cake layer in the baking dish (DO NOT mix the two layers.)
- Bake on the middle/center rack for about 40 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the center is still a little jiggly (middle may sink a bit – that’s ok.) Be careful of overbaking! Check 5-10 minutes before it’s supposed to be done.
- Sprinkle with a little more powdered sugar. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.