Breakfast Stuffed Peppers
These breakfast stuffed peppers are filled with a medley of breakfast sausage, onions and potatoes before cracking an egg on top and sprinkling with cheese. Bake until the eggs are done, and you have breakfast for the whole week!
- 8 Vital Farms Eggs
- 4 large sweet bell peppers any color you like
- 1/2 pound chicken breakfast sausage
- 1 large yukon gold potato cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more for oiling peppers
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Slice peppers in half vertically through the stem so you end up with 8 halves. Remove the seeds and ribs inside and discard.
- Rub each with a little olive oil or spray with some non-stick spray and place on a parchment or foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes until peppers just start to get tender.
- While peppers are roasting, add a tablespoon of olive oil and the sausage to a large skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until completely cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and add the onion. Season with salt and pepper and saute until tender and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and add to the bowl with the sausage.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan then add the potatoes and season with more salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add potatoes to the onion and sausage mixture and stir mixture to combine.
- Remove peppers from the oven and add about ¼ cup of the sausage and potato mixture to the bottom of each one.
- Crack an egg into each pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle each egg with 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese then place peppers back in the oven and cook until eggs are set, about 10-12 minutes.