Prep Time 45 minutes
- Peel potatoes then grate by hand.
- Transfer grated potatoes to bowl of cold water to prevent browning. Drain well after all potatoes are grated.
- Add grated potatoes and chopped onions onto cloth to wring out all unnecessary liquid.
- Put potatoes and onion into bowl, add salt and egg.
- Heat olive oil in pan on medium-high heat, without allowing the oil to smoke.
- Put handful of mixture into hot pan and spread into rounds with back of fork.
- Cook on both sides until brown.
- Transfer to paper towels so excess oil is soaked up. Season with salt. Garnish with applesauce and/or sour cream.