Caribbean Spanish Egg Tortilla (Egg Madness Recipe Contest Finalist – South)
Harvey A. of New Braunfels, TX submitted this delicious recipe featuring Vital Farms Pasture-Raised eggs, and was chosen by Vital Farms to represent the South region for the Egg Madness Recipe Contest.
Caribbean Spanish Egg Tortilla
- 6-8 Vital Farms Pasture-Raised Eggs
- 1/2 medium sweet or yellow onion
- 1/2 large bell pepper Green, Red, or Yellow...or a mixture of the three
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, de-seeded add chopped seeds to raise heat
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3-4 white mushrooms
- Hand full of cilantro
- 1/2 stick of Vital Farms Pasteur-Raised Unsalted Butter
- Shredded cheese Cheddar
- Spices (Black pepper, Oregano, Basil, Cumin, and Coriander) To your taste
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl and set aside
- Chop onion, bell peppers, mushroom, jalapeño, cilantro, and garlic into small pieces.
- Place skillet over medium heat and melt the butter until small bubbles start to form at the edges.
- Sauté veggies in the butter until tender (adjust heat to medium-high, if desired)
- Add whisked eggs into the skillet and incorporate into the sautéed vegetables. Turn the heat to low and cover the skillet with a lid.
- Let set for 10-12 minutes.
- Carefully flip the tortilla to cook the other side (this takes a lot of practice...if you can't manage to flip over the whole tortilla, cut it in half and flip each half one at a time).
- Turn off the heat, and add shredded cheese on top (to make cheese melt faster, cover the skillet with lid and let it set for a few minutes minutes.)
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and enjoy!
Serve over rice and beans, hash browns, or a green salad...or even wrap it in a corn or flour tortilla to make a delicious taco!