Sweet Potato Hash with Baked Eggs and Caramelized Onions
This hearty sweet potato hash is an easy and delicious way to start your weekend morning!
Baked Egg Sweet Potato Hash with Caramelized Onions
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Large Vital Farms Pasture-Raised Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Vital Farms Pasture-Raised Unsalted Butter
- 3 Cups Yellow Onions, sliced into halves
- 3 Cloves garlic Finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 Teaspoon chopped Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon chopped Rosemary
- 1 Teaspoon chopped Sage
- 1 Pound Ground Sausage Optional: Choose your favorite meat or vegetarian ground sausage
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Chop sweet potatoes into fine cubes and place into large mixing bowl. Toss in garlic, herbs, olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix until sweet potatoes are well coated.
- Take a baking sheet and line with parchment paper. Spread out herbed sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet, spreading them out evenly. Roast in the oven for about 35 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft and slightly browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, sauté chopped onions in butter over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until browned and caramelized. Lower heat as necessary to avoid burning the onions. Once caramelized, remove from heat and set aside until potatoes are finished roasting.
- OPTIONAL: Add ground sausage If you wish to add sausage to the hash, take ground sausage and sauté over medium heat until well browned and edges are crispy.
- Take a cast iron skillet and place onions, roasted sweet potatoes, and optional sausage into the skillet and mix together well until components are evenly distributed. Dig out 4 sections in the skillet, exposing the bottom surface of the skillet. Crack an egg into each well and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until egg whites are set. For runnier yolks, remove from oven at 10 minutes. For harder yolks, leave in the oven another 5 minutes until eggs reach desired doneness.